Friday 15 July 2011

Thing 4: Current awareness - Twitter, RSS and Pushnote

I have had a twitter account for some time now and mainly use it to keep up to date with what’s going on in libraries in general and for CILIP. Although I am aware of Twitter I could use it more.  I personally think I started to follow too many groups at once which proved to be information overload.  I should have started off with following something of interest then added more followings as I became more aware.  I am presently using it more and more therefore developing my awareness.

I use RSS feeds to keep up to date with personal interests and have been aware of this service for some time now.  To put RSS feeds into a simple description would be to say that rather than me having to access individual sites for information, the information is now brought to me and I can access it at my leisure.  This for me is a great time saver.

I have signed up with Pushnote and had a prowl but still do not get it.  I read what Stephen Fry had to say about it and it sound very positive but it looks to me as if it is early days yet.  It could be this is going to be the next big site for social media users but just now it looks very plain, obviously due to the fact there is no advertising as yet.   I did like the fact you could also publish your comments from Pushnote to Facebook and Twitter.  I will however try to keep an eye on what’s happening with the site.  I personally think I have enough contact through social media sites and I don’t really need another one to deal with.  If however this site becomes more popular with Web 2.0 users I would probably move over. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness John, u have been busy!! & have put me to shame...I'm playing catch up....& eventhough i have viewed other bloggers - I have taken the plunge today to leave comments!!

    ReplyDelete