Tuesday 22 May 2012

Thing 11 Mentoring

I needed a mentor for Chartership and took the advice from CILIP which was to find a mentor outside your own organisation.  I had previously used a senior colleague for a type of unofficial mentoring role, seeking advice and direction related to my personal development.  I agreed with CILIP's advice and thought I would benefit from a mentor having a different library sector background this way I would also learn more about the wider profession.  

To be honest I have found it difficult being mentored from someone in another sector although I know I need to work more at the direction of my professional development as my mentor is not there to tell me what to do but to act more as a coach, so I know I need to work more on what areas I want to develop in and discuss this with my mentor. 

What I have found most difficult not working with a mentor from my own organisation is the fact that I was looking for guidance to develop in areas of  work which would benefit me in my role within my organisation especially if I was to be successful in gaining a promoted role.  I have now worked at establishing working relationships within my own organisation to gain entry to the areas of professional development I require most.  This has taught me although I have a mentor I can still learn from others that I see as role models within my own organisation.  I now know it is not just about learning from one person, but to try to learn more from different colleagues in different areas of my professional development. 

No comments:

Post a Comment