Tuesday 22 May 2012

Thing 12 Social Media

I have been using social media for some time now and really got into it due to my area of work, which is developing and delivering ICT classes to adults within a public library.  I have used sites like YouTube for some time but recently learned more about blogging, Facebook and Twitter.  Sites like YoTube are great for entertainment but Facebook and Twitter are more about building networks. 

I use Facebook more for keeping in touch, up to date with friends and family, and tend to use Twitter more for my professional development.  Twitter lets me follow organisations and individuals I want to learn from and keep up to date with events, etc.  I have recently been using Twitter to get involved in discussion groups related to Chartership, which has been a great way of learning more about using Twitter, before I would just follow individuals and organisations, but now I can seek advice from people who are learning like myself while doing their Chartership and hopefully give advice back.  I have now started to follow individuals from my own profession and started to build up a network of contacts that regularly share good information and even give me a shout out when they source an event or useful information they think is beneficial to me.

The thing I like most is seeing what others are using that is also useful for my own development and my own line of work.  Things like learning how to use Prezi for a better delivery of my presentations was an area I was looking to learn more about and it did not take me long to find different links to presentations using Prezi and how best to use it.  Social media has introduced me to a new way of learning, helps me keep up to date with new trends, and keeps me in the loop.   

No comments:

Post a Comment